Sunday, July 6, 2008

Same as it Ever Was

We had a huge series of dilemmas born out of social interactions over the past few weeks, and for the most part they ended up fine. Once again our reaction was greater than what was warranted, but somehow I can't seem to get away from being a neurotic parent. I know it's me but I can't help but feel this need to protect our kids from the jerks of the world. Unfortunately, in my eyes, everyone is less than stellar.

The hypocritical thing is that all children, including our own, are guilty of the same offense, it's just that you're less inclined to pick it up in your own kids. And that is not to say that your own kids might not be a bit more decent. I'm trying to be objective here.

The way around it is to just lighten up and let kids be kids. They're going to hurt each other and turn on one another, it's just the way of the world. The way of people, and you can't try to shelter your kids from it. It's a part of life and growing up. So I'm trying, and we'll see where this one goes.

I'm still getting the hang of this blogging thing, not sure where it's going to go, because I have so much to say and can't seem to say it.

Had a great 4th of July, still can't say enough about small town life, or at least our small town. I feel lucky to be here, and fortunate for so many things.

BTW, just found out my jerk brother is getting a divorce. I don't know the circumstances but feel like I should try to bridge the gap and re-connect.

No comments: