Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Homeschooling in the Mainstream

We just started reading this new book about homeschooling by Millman and it's interesting. My first impulse was to think that it would give homeschooling some street cred and make it more acceptable to the masses, and truth be told it makes a lot of great points as to the merits of homeschooling and the problems with conventional schools, but in the end, it's still just a story about a family's decision to educate their kids. It's about a choice, and one doesn't need to justify one's position to make themselves feel better about their decision. You have to comfortable with it just for it's own sake. Does that make sense?

Either way, my first impulse was to show the book to everyone and say, "See!" But after reading it, I realize what a waste of time it is. People just don't want to be lectured, and we don't feel the need to be vindicated for something we believe so strongly in. Such is life.

Today we are heading out to Hanover to see a play, the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe, and I have to admit that I am not looking forward to it. It's going to be crowded, and filled not only with rowdy and mannerless school kids en mass (when they're together in large groups it tends to get crazy), but probably lots of people, which is never a good thing. I'm sure the kids will have fun, and we might even see people we know and like, but you never know. Still trying to coordinate a meet with the M's, but I'm never sure what's going on with them. I sometimes get the impression that AN might be mad at me.

Actually, I should call CH and see where she stands. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: