Monday, July 27, 2009

Planning Our Vacation and Playing the Game

I've learned an interesting thing about the whole game of blogging-to get more traffic, you have to give a little and take a little. There are a few people who actually visit my blog and if you can believe it, even comment! Some of them are like me, aspiring bloggers, and ask if we can be friends, i.e., link to each other's blog. I'm all for it, but I've found that when sometimes it's a case of "what have you done for me lately?" In other words, I link to them and never hear from them again. Oh well, you have to stick with what you think is right.

On that note, it's sort of fun. You build up a community of friends who are in the same boat as you, and you love to hear from them. Even just tiny, quick comments can make a blogger's day.

We are in the process of planning, or rather not planning, our trip out west. We have a rough outline of where we'll go and what we'll do, but there will be an element of surprise in it all, much like all of our vacations. Keeping it open ended allows for maximum value in the adventure department. As long as the important issues are covered - food, transportation, shelter - then everything else is all a part of the ride. It gives me anxiety to no end, but that's the beauty of travel. It takes you out of your comfort zone and you grow from the experience.

One awesome aspect of it is that the kids are thrilled to pieces. I'm glad they love to travel, and I think it all comes from just doing it. Once they experience it and realize that problems occur but are rarely insurmountable, they become citizens of the world and embrace it. I love that fact. They can choose whatever they want when they get older, I just abhor the idea that they close a door of opportunity because they are too afraid to try, which up until I became father, was the story of my life.

And, we can incorporate all sorts of homeschool opportunities in the trip, including a bunch of stuff on the Westward migration. Can you submit a blog to the homeschool state office?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Mike Johnson for the pic.

No comments: