Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Little Squirrelly

The other day A had her video stuff and N and I had to two hours to fill. Normally I’d just go home, but we were in the big city, and it was too far to go home then go back and get her. We started going to the local skate park, which is actually kind of cool with all sorts of jumps and ramps that the skateboarders like to use. It’s also nice for young kids like N to ride his scooter, or more recently, his bike. It’s pretty cool to watch him go, he’s definitely got some X-games in him. I can see him surfing one day... hopefully soon.

Now as some of you may know, skateboarders can have an edge to them. Now I don’t mean to be so prejudiced, but I surfed most of my life and have been around plenty of skateboarders, but somehow the ones who skate but don’t surf seem even more edgy. At the park, the kids who skateboard are actually nice kids, but some of them seem like they just got out of juvenile hall.

In fact, I overheard one of them talking about going his past life as a perp and his current life in rehab, so it was clear that his days as an altar boy are over. All that is fine and well, it’s their lives and none of my business, but it’s hard to sit and relax and watch N have fun while all these rough characters are flying around him. They are nice and considerate, especially to him, but at some point there are bodies whizzing by everywhere, and I worry about him. Plus, teenage boys will be teenage boys, especially when they’re bored and disaffected.

Oh well, as long as he’s having fun, and is somewhat oblivious about the whole scene, then maybe it’s okay. He sure does love riding around there, and I can’t say I blame him.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Mockney Rebel for the pic.

No comments: