Saturday, January 25, 2014

I Fought the Law

This time, the law didn’t win. There was the annual Cops vs Coaches hockey game last night, and I was asked if I wanted to play way back when I declined, sort of. As usual I didn’t come outright and say it, but I didn’t really think I would play because it’s on a weekend night and we spend so much time at the arena as it is. When EC asked me, I told him I didn’t think so, but left it at that.

There was a Dartmouth women’s hockey game that night, as well, and we had tickets, so I figured we’d go to that. However, we had a very busy day that day, with several doctor’s appointments, not to mention homeschool hockey. At some point I decided that I didn’t want to go the Dartmouth game because we had too much going on. Plus, it’s a total bummer going to a game at night and then having to exit the arena outside into sub-zero temperatures and return to a frigid house that hasn’t been heated all day, then slip into a cold bed. Yikes.

I was looking forward to a quiet evening at home with some hot soup and bread, when I got a message from the Standard asking if mom could take some pictures of the Cops vs Coaches game. She has been taking pics of the kid’s games, and they love her work. I figured this was an exciting development, so I got her on the phone and she came straight home.

Well, I figured we couldn’t go to the game and have me just sit and watch, so I contacted EC and asked if the roster had already been set, thinking I could slip in, and he said he’d put my name on it already. You see, I wasn’t paying attention when I spoke with him and as it turns out, he put on the roster anyway and figured if I showed up, great, if not, no big deal.

Now our previously quiet evening was turning into a big party. I couldn’t believe it. I made the kids a quick supper and we headed over. The crowd wasn’t great, but there were plenty of the kid’s friends, a lot of their dads were playing in the game. It was fun, though those cops were darn good hockey players, and they were most definitely playing to win. We, the coaches, however, won the game because we have a couple of superstars.

I was in way over my head, but it was fun, and best of all, the kids had a blast and mom had a great time taking pics. She may be warming up to hockey after all. Could it be so? I hope so. For the record, I also got an assist. Yay for me.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to JACKxRAWR for the pic.

No comments: