Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Thought I Was Done

I was feeling pretty proud of myself this past weekend because I thought I was finished putting trim on the barn, which also implied that I was that much closer to being done with the exterior, but no such luck. The first situation I ran into was when I ended up about two feet short on the soffit trim but didn't want to buy more wood just for that. I found some extra shiplap that I ripped into the proper size and installed, and it worked out fine.

Just when I was ready to pat myself on the back and turn my attention the interior, I realized that I still had to put on one last set of corner boards. Since they're long boards, I didn't have any scrap wood that would fit the bill, which means that I'll have to go to the lumber yard and get it. On a bright note, I'll only need about 16 feet, so the financial burden will be small. Plus, I can fit it in my car if I cut it in half.

Either way, even if I'd had the wood, I still need to caulk seams and paint, which could take another ten years... just kidding, sort of. My new goal is to get the exterior completely done and then move onto the interior by the end of next week. I think that's reasonable, and I'm finding that setting these goals and verbalizing helps me to realize them. It puts me on the spot and forces me to act on my words. Something I'm not always so good at.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: