Saturday, October 15, 2011

Broken Clubs

You’re not going to believe this, but on the first day that I used my golf clubs, I broke the darn driver. It cracked all the way through. I was shocked, but reminded myself that you get what you pay for. $5 for a golf set doesn’t buy you a whole lot. When I brought my clubs to the range, the people there, including N’s coach, PB, all commented on the fact. PB said the clubs were old school, which meant they were antiques, but I’m not picky, at least not at this point. He even said that if I was skiing, I’d be riding on wooden skis, just to illustrate his point.

Either way, he explained to me the technological thought that goes into clubs and the material they use. It’s pretty amazing stuff. I’m impressed. Of course, none of these technological advances apply to my clubs, because they didn’t think of these things back in the caveman days, but who needs technology?

The one problem with these new developments is that I still need clubs to play with N. The set I bought actually has 3 different drivers, the reason for which was explained to me by PB, so I have two more drivers to play with. I just can’t hit the ball too hard. This precludes using them at the driving range, but they have clubs they lend out anyway, so it’s not the of the world.

I would like to get a driver made of metal, but that could take time. I called Golf and Ski Warehouse and they sell used drivers, but they’re for the hardcore golfer, and range in price from $100-200. That’s way to much, so in the meantime, I’ll be scouring the dump, thrift shops and want ads.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Claude Coquilleau for the pic.

No comments: