Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tomato City

Even though I haven’t really accomplished all the things I thought I’d accomplish since we weren’t doing the market (summer isn’t over yet!), one thing that is going fairly well are our tomato plants. Maybe it has something to do with the variety that I got from the uber-horticulturist, CS, but I must say, they are pretty impressive. The plum variety that she sold me are amazing, they must be close to five feet tall. She said this would be the case, but of course I wasn’t paying attention.

I am guessing that once the tomatoes come up, the plants will surely collapse the cages, so I may have to do some serious maintenance work. I have to say that it’s pretty cool, and I’m really curious to see what sort of yields we end up with. I’m also impressed because we really didn’t do that much to get them to grow. All we did was weed and plant, though I did use our own kitchen compost to fertilize, and perhaps that made the difference.

Who can say? We’re not there quite yet, but in the meantime, it’s sort of fun taking care of the garden. Much more enjoyable than years past. Why do you suppose that is?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to got.2.have.faith for the pic.

No comments: