Monday, April 22, 2013

Hockeyed Out

The final week of hockey was quite the marathon, and even though I could go to the rink all year ‘round, I realized it was time for a break, especially with the warm weather and all. There is something about hockey that makes you lose all perspective, and believe me, I’m not alone in this way of thinking.

One very telling sign was that given the choice, N chose not to go to his final practice, and opted out of the last game of the season, which A went to with her buddy, SP. For the record, they had a blast, and I got actually sit and watch rather than coach on the bench. It’s nice to be a spectator for a change.

The turnout has been small with the season closing out, though many of the hardcore will skate until June, and then I’m sure there are opportunities after that, but we’re done. I think A lost interest a few weeks back, and even N is ready for shorts and a t-shirt. It is pretty amazing how much some kids play hockey, and while there’s no question that many of them are good players, it does bring up the issue of fanaticism and burning out, which USA Hockey is always warning parents about. As a parent, you can’t imagine it ever happening, but it’s a reality and makes perfect sense.

Oh well, you make your choices and live with them, right? I am acutely aware of pushing our kids too hard for something that is supposed to be fun. The problem is, hockey is unlike any sport I’ve ever encountered in terms of dedication and fanaticism that are required. It often brings out the worst in people, and I hate to admit it, but I’ve fallen prey to it, as well.

It’s a good thing spring is here. I know R is happy about that. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Dan4th for the pic.

No comments: