Friday, December 2, 2011

Getting the Hockey Groove Back

It makes me immeasurably happy that N is excited to get back in the swing of playing hockey. It’s not just that I think hockey is cool, which I do. I really do, but it’s more about him having something that hee feels passionate about and loves to do. Stemming from this is the willingness to work hard at it and the desire to excel. It sure beats being apathetic about life and wanting to just watch TV and play video games. I see plenty of that.

I don’t deny that I think hockey is cool, and the coolness factor is not a bad thing for a boy approaching adolescence. More importantly, however, is for a child to find a sense of place, especially if it really speaks to him. Now I’m not an advocate of the whole jock environment and mentality, but there’s no denying that sports can often play an important role in a boy’s life.

Besides, something about hockey in particular that I find appealing, at least at this stage in life. They really promote and expect good values and behavior, more so than other sports I’ve seen him take part in. The coaches go well beyond just going through the motions, and they constantly expect the players to exhibit character and pride. It shows in the kids, who are well mannered, for the most part.

Anyway, we’re getting back in the groove. Stateline Sports finally got N’s away game socks to match his away game jersey, which the coach still has. N has also exhibited his eagerness by playing hockey constantly in the house. It’s probably best the mom is not around, because it can get rather lively. He and his big sister also made a makeshift goal out of a cardboard box, and it even comes with a goalie that moves. How cool is that?

Clearly we can’t wait to get back on the ice. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Kriss Szkurlatowski for the pic.

No comments: