Thursday, April 19, 2012

More Healthy Eating

The way we currently stand on healthy eating is we’re cutting back on sugar and meat, which hasn’t been as devastating as I thought. The meat part is the easiest, though I think kids should have meat because it’s a good source of protein, not to mention tasty. It’s the red meat thing that’s most on our radar, and even then, only local beef, especially in light of the whole pink slime thing. Crazy.

The sugar part was what really concerned me, because I tend to eat a lot of sweets. The way I did it, with tons of encouragement from R, was to stop cold turkey and just eat dark chocolate, which I was never a big fan of. R was always saying that once you got used to it, it was good, but I couldn’t imagine dark chocolate ever tasting good. For me it was always milk chocolate or nothing.

Well, I gave it a try, and after a few days, I found that I did start to like it, and even found milk chocolate a bit too sweet. Don’t get me wrong, I could wolf down a pound of Hersheys, but is that such a good idea? The key to dark chocolate for me is getting decent quality. Most of it is expensive but tastes either waxy or bitter/sour. Green and Blacks has great taste and texture (R’s favorite), while I have become a fan of Godiva, 72%. Best of all, since dark chocolate is good for you, I feel like I can eat the stuff with abandon. Also, after eating G&B’s 85%, eating Godiva 72% is like eating milk chocolate, I kid you not. As it stands now, no more Hersheys, no more ice cream, and no more cookies or brownies. The kids can have them, in moderation, but I’m a dark chocolate man now.

One final note, I’ve also decided to stop drinking milk. I’m not trying to remove dairy because we still eat cheese and ice cream, but drinking milk seems increasingly unappealing, especially when you consider that the government makes its dietary and nutritional decisions based solely on the influence of the lobbies, in this case, the dairy lobby. There is no nutritional basis for drinking milk our entire lives, and if anything, it could be detrimental, but that’s just my opinion. The main time I drink milk is with my cereal, so I’m trying for rice milk, which tastes nothing like milk, but maybe that’s the point.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to catman for the pic.

No comments: