Friday, April 20, 2012

Quick Dentist Visit

I had a molar removed a few months ago and the plan was to potentially put a tooth implant in there, but that requires several preliminary steps. First off, removal of the bad tooth, which includes insertion of a bone graft. Then they need to check on the recovery of the surgery, followed months later by an x-ray to check the bone graft. After all that, the decision can be made to put in an implant, or not.

The thing is, my follow up visits are so quick, it’s almost a waste. I have to load up the kids and head to the big city, only to sit in his office for about 5 minutes, then leave. I’m not knocking it, because nobody wants to spend more time at the dentist, I’m just finding something to be cynical about.

This last time, the dentist took a quick x-ray and said the healing and graft looked good, but I was going to have to decide what to do. He was cool about it, and even said if I was comfortable with simply not replacing the missing tooth, then go with it, because the process of putting in an implant was very involved, requiring more bone grafts and some fairly involved surgery, not to mention extensive. Say no more, I’ll live with it, though he did mention I was a little young to be without some molars. Even still, I think I'll live with it.

After the appointment, went for pizza and on the way home, made an impromptu decision to get gelato. I said the only way we were going to stop was if there was a parking space right in front, and sure enough, there was. How can you ignore signs like that?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Bonzeemer for the pic.

No comments: