Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Happy Belated St. Patrick’s Day

Sunday was St. Patrick’s Day, Happy belated St. Patty’s day to all. We got to engorge ourselves with corned beef and cabbage, which is saying a lot in light of the fact that we have been making huge strides in reducing our meat consumption. I wasn’t quite sure how the idea of eating all that red meat might go over, but we got a big thumbs up, so I went for it.

I got the nitrate-free corned beef, the “gray,” as they call it because it apparently turns gray, though I don’t think it was that bad. I’m still not sure what the verdict is on nitrates, but I figure until I know for sure, I’m going to avoid them if I can. Why eat industrial chemicals if you don’t have to?

We had a busy day, actually, with hockey, if you can believe that. The season is over and we are enjoying the respite from the madness (sort of), but that doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy hockey in a more relaxed atmosphere. A&N both had hockey, though spread far apart. I took N to his game, and R brought A with her later. R had to do some work, so N and I met them at work and had lunch at the cafeteria. Afterward, I took A and N back to the ice rink and A had her game. Then we came home and the corned beef was waiting for us, thanks to our Crock Pot. Since the meat takes up a lot of space, I had to remove it to cook the veggies, since it’s critical to cook them in the broth.

The meal was amazing, we stuffed ourselves, and then we had hot fudge sundaes for desert. Talk about decadence. I don’t think I’m going to eat ever again, or at least not until lunchtime.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to RIC for the pic.

No comments: