Sunday, March 31, 2013

Snowed Again

I realize how silly it sounds to be surprised to get snow in March, but it sure took me by surprise. Maybe it’s based more on my readiness for some warmer weather, not so much hot, but I wouldn’t mind for it to be at least drier. I’m already tired of the mud, and mud season hasn’t even started yet. We get these short bursts (2-3 days) of warm weather, and the mud really starts to rear its ugly head, then it freezes again. Maybe this is not such a bad thing.

Either way, we got a pretty big storm this week, with at least 4-5 inches, maybe more. Normally I’d be thrilled, but I guess I’m ready for spring. Besides, our plow guy charges us an arm and a leg to clear our driveway ($45 a pop, the going rate). During the busy winter season it really hurts, and then he’ll sometimes come when it’s not really critical, or he’ll come long after the fact. Once he came a couple of days after the storm, after we’d been in and out of our driveway a number of times. I called him and said it wasn’t necessary, and he said he wouldn’t charge me, but I paid him nonetheless. I just mentioned that unless it’s a big storm, we’re probably fine. Our driveway is pretty flat.

This past storm it was heavy, but manageable, and I figured we didn’t need a plow. I should have called him to say, but figured by that evening that he wasn’t coming since the snow had abated. Well, I went out for my game and came home to see part of the driveway had been plowed, but not all of it. Apparently he came to plow and R went out to meet him and tell him it wasn’t necessary, and I agree. Plus, if he was going to plow, why no do it during the day, when we’d really need it. Finally, it’s been warm during the day so the snow all melts.

Either way, I’m guessing our plow guy hates us and thinks we’re a bunch of cheap losers, but hey, when money’s tight, you gotta fight for every penny. There are principles to abide by, as well.

I have this fantasy of obtaining an old junky truck with a plow and clearing our driveway myself. The truck wouldn’t have to be street legal since all I would do is plow. I wouldn’t take it on the road. That, or a small tractor. Something to aspire to. It would make me more of a Vermonter, that’s for sure, not to mention make for good content.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to tomas aravena for the pic.

No comments: