Monday, June 6, 2011

Helping Out

I had told the coach that I was more than happy to help out with the t-ball, but thus far he’s seemed somewhat resistant to having any assistance. The fact is, he’s completely capable of running the show, but I always thought, the more the merrier. Either, it’s made it easier for me, because I can it and watch from the sidelines.

The last practice, I even brought a chair to sit in, but the coach was out sick, and the other coach asked if I’d be interested in helping. I was happy to, but again, was struck by the lack of willingness from the other parents. Maybe it just takes asking them, but many of these guys are good athletes, so helping out would be a breeze for them. I heard some parents wishing they’d focus more on skills and drills, and to that I would encourage them to either step up and say something or take the matter into their own hands. It’s easy to criticize when you’re standing on the sideline.

Either way, it was fun, and they have the drill down. We just play a game, and the kids get to hit and stand around the field bored until it’s their time to bat. I have to confess, I’m struck by the level of disrespect the kids display. When I played Little League, the coahces word was gospel, and we did as we told. I find these kids completely ignore the coaches directives. Granted, they’re very young, but even still, it’s amazing how they respond to their own parents. Then again, that tells the whole story right there.

The reason I bring this up is because as I was helping out and trying to maintain order, I found certain kids would completely ignore me. Don’t they realize that they’re only supposed to ignore their own parents?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Nathaniel :: Tutvid.com for the pic.

No comments: