Thursday, June 16, 2011

Road Trip to the Capital

We hit the road this past weekend for a day in Montpelier, mainly to get a taste of big city life, but also to check out the Vermont Historical Museum. The weather was once again terrible, so it was not a bad day to be inside learning about our state.

Before we left, A had a guitar lesson in Hanover, so we jetted out there in the AM. While she played, N and I drove out to W. Leb to get him a Frisbee. He has become quite the fan of ultimate Frisbee, and he asked if he could have an official disc. I guess there’s an official Frisbee used in the games. The plan was for us to find one at Olympia Sports by JC Penny while A had her lesson, but then R had the brilliant idea to check out Stateline. This would help us to avoid the ugly traffic right by the 89, which is depressing beyond description. Sure enough, Stateline had them, and it was a quick jaunt back to Hanover with time to spare.

Interestingly, while we were waiting, we spied some donuts at Lou’s that looked too good to resist. R got one for each of us, and I ate this amazing hazelnut danish that was good, but I sure paid for it afterward. I can’t eat super sweet, fatty and sugary foods or drinks in large quantity. Maybe a bite or two, but that thing was huge, and on an empty stomach. Afterward, I felt so tired, I could barely stay awake. I thought I was coming down with something, when I remembered that danish. No more for me, thank you.

My malaise put a damper on the start of our day, but I got over it and it was fine. I’m done with that junk, though. Either way, we first hit the museum, and it was actually pretty cool. Vermont is such an interesting state, always on the cutting edge, and yet, so down to earth and genuine. I learned a lot, and the kids didn’t seem too bored.

We then headed over to Cool Jewels to look for beads and other accessories. The place is kind of interesting, and not that expensive. At some point we all gathered around the bead bin and searched for cool beads, which is sort of addicting in an OCD sort of way. There were other people there, as well, and it sort of became a party to find that one special bead. It was a lot of fun, actually.

Then we went to the Thai food restaurant that we’d wanted to try and had heard a lot about. The place is cool, and the food was excellent. We had the combination appetizer platter, pot stickers, pad thai noodles, and the green curry with rice. The food was great, though the curry was spicy, and we asked for mild. I ended up eating most of it, and paid for it, accordingly.

After supper, we had fried banana with coconut ice cream, and then we headed back home. It’s a really nice day trip to Montpelier, it’s a very manageable town, and the hub of political activity, no less. The drive home was much easier with real food in my stomach, though we were all still tired. We still had the wherewithal, however, to make dumpling fillings for our big dumpling day on Sunday. We are somewhat prepared, so it won’t be overly painful, but painful nonetheless.

Once the fillings were done, we had time to try out N’s new Frisbee, and then A&R went for a quick walk in the woods. Then it was time for blissful sleep. With the rain and clouds, it’s fairly cool, if not downright cold, to the point where I’m tempted to build a fire. Then again, maybe not.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to rendo79 for the pic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fred,

Any interest in a Frolf game downtown some evening? I used to play it as a kid, and finally figured out that those unusually placed haystands aren't! Never could figure out why I never saw cows grazing in the meadow.
Rick