Thursday, July 27, 2017

Surfing for Surfing

Believe it or not, I've been surfing the web for surfing tutorials for the kids, and not only am I finding them, but they are helping me, as well. You wouldn't think watching a video could teach you how to surf, but there's a trove of information out there. I figured the kids would respond more to expert advice online versus something their old dad would tell them, and I think they're responding. We'll soon see.

I've always been a bit cynical about things like surf lesson videos touting the ability to teach you to do something like surf or ride a bike. I've also been down on things like taking surf lessons or going to surf camp, or paying someone to teach you how to surf or ride a bike. I'm so old school; when we were young we just went out and did it. It was a long and painful process, but that's what separated the men from the boys, and when you came out the other end, you were either a surfer or you weren't. Nobody held our hands, especially not for money. As for the internet, how could you possibly learn to surf while watching YouTube?

Well, I have to confess that I've softened by stand. Not only do I think surf camp would be a cool way for a kid to learn, but I've learned a thing or two about surfing online, and it turns out that I've been doing it wrong all these years. I won't go into the details but I've noticed that as I'm re-entering the surfing world, I'm having trouble in a few key areas. Maybe because I was younger at the time, but when I first started out my poor techniques didn't seem to matter. Now that I'm older, slower, creakier and fatter, they are having an impact. Funny how that works.

Time will tell if it makes a huge difference, but the changes seem to be helping, so I have to tip my hat to technology. I still think it's lame for hyper-educated professionals pay people to teach their kids to tie their shoes (because they worry they won't do it right, I'm told), but don't get me started. For now, with the help of the internet, I'll be there working with the kids on our surfing. It's good because I can amend bad habits and they can learn good habits in the first place. I love when that happens.

-->
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Elyse Jones for the pic.

No comments: