Originally we were planning on spending a nice day together going up north to watch A’s game, but then N’s practice schedule changed and the two of us couldn’t go. That left A and R to head up north, which wouldn’t have been such a big deal, except we for the massive snow storm that hit. It was precarious driving, to say the least, and I would have wanted to have been there when they headed up. Instead, we felt obliged to go to practice.
In retrospect, it would not have been unreasonable to just say we had plans and couldn’t make it, but being a coach makes me feel an obligation to be there when possible. The complication to it all was that the practice was changed at the last minute, so we had to shift on the fly. Anyway, we made a decision and went with it. I worried about A&R, but knew they’d be safe. For the record, we saw plenty of cars that had slid off the road throughout the day, the conditions were squirrelly. Mostly people who were not used to driving in these conditions, but it’s still ominous to see.
The best part was, when we got to practice, 75% of the team couldn’t make it, even the coach. I was kicking myself because we had changed our plans for this, and nobody else showed up. There were five kids that showed up, and in all fairness, it was good that I came, because TG came and he would have been all by himself. This way, we had two coaches and all the ice, so we could split up and then play a scrimmage. It was actually a lot of fun, and I think the kids enjoyed it because it was relaxing and laid back. Plus, they got precious ice time when there is not a lot of ice time to be had, at least until the ponds freeze over.
Even still, I do think it’s not unreasonable to say you can’t make it because you already have plans. Heck, everyone else does it.
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Tony Dowler for the pic.