Monday, December 3, 2012

New Skates

I try to do my best to live on the cheap, as many of you may know, and this is especially true when it comes to hockey. That doesn’t mean hockey isn’t important (it’s so important), but at least for me, having new and expensive equipment is not the point. For the kids it’s a different story, sometimes they need new stuff, especially when all of their friends have it. I really don’t think expensive stuff will make a difference in the sort of player that you are, it’s more about the image and wanting to be cool.

Either way, I play hockey on used or cheap stuff. I’ve bought new stuff, like gloves, but only after I’ve exhausted all of my used resources. Some things are tough when they’re used, like gloves or a jock strap. You don’t want to go there. When I do go new, I get the cheapest thing I can find, or wait for a sale. Now way back when we first moved here, the kids were going to try ice skating, and I figured I’d learn along with them, so I got skates, as well. I got the cheapest ones they had, and they worked fine, not that I knew any better.

After playing hockey for a bit, however, I began to realize that my foot sure did move around inside my skate. Then my OCD kicked in and I began to envision a world where I actually had a nice piece of hockey equipment. I even got the thumbs up from R. Say no more!

I did the usual amount of exhaustive research and got a new pair. It was kind of exciting, if not a big embarrassing making a big purchase. Now the big question is, will I skate like Mark Messier?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to abakedcreation for the pic.

No comments: