Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Put On the Spot

As usual, our kids put us on the spot and we had to deal with a spontaneous situation, which as you know, I don’t do well with. Then again, it’s good to confront them and deal with them because you can’t live your life hiding in your comfort zone, right?

Anyway, it was after open stick on a non-school day. The kids all wanted to hang out at their friend’s house, and the father, who was out there with us on the ice, was also put on the spot. I don’t know what he was actually feeling, but his response was reminiscent of how I would have reacted, which was to agree with some reservation, because you don’t feel right about saying no in front of the friends. The reason this comes into play is because deep in my heart, I’d rather just go home and deal with all the things I need to deal with, and I am not good at quick decisions. I need time to think and process things, so when requests are dropped on me with no warning, I hem and haw. My first impulse is to say no, and then give it some thought, but with kids, you just aren’t given that luxury.

My point is, I think SS was put on the spot like that, and he might have felt like he didn’t want to say yes, but couldn’t say no. It worked out fine, the kids had fun and having playmates makes life easier on the parents, it’s just that initial moment that’s uncomfortable. I wish I was more relaxed like JG and GG, who are so warm and welcome to everyone around them. They just go with the flow, and whomever goes to their house is made to feel unquestionably welcome. Something to aspire to.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: