Friday, December 14, 2012

New Microwave

My in-laws are amazing, they can fix anything. The Amazing PR Man could build a house in a day, and RR can repair anything electrical, or at least make a go of it and figure out what’s wrong. Case in point, our microwave. When it broke, I pretty much wrote it off and looked into replacements. When I contacted the company, GE, they said a common problem with our model was that the magnetron tube burns out.

I contacted some repair people, and they all said that replacing a magnetron tube would run you around $200, more than the cost of getting a new one. In the meantime, we simply lived without a microwave for about 2 months. I didn’t think it was worth it to repair, and one of the repair guys said as much. Sears required bringing it in, and then they start sticking you with fees from the get-go.

Just getting the machine down from it’s position was daunting to me, so like many problems that I have in life, I tried my best to ignore it. Needless to say, that didn’t solve the problem, and it didn’t go away.

This past Thanksgiving, when R’s family came to visit, RR took a stab at trying to fix it. Talk about fearless. What’s really impressive is that he not only knew what a magnetron tube was, but he knew their characteristics. In fact, he said that they were designed for long life, and that it was unlikely to be the problem.

Taking the reigns, he oversaw the removal of the beast, and then proceeded to take it apart and examine the circuit board. By the end of the weekend, the microwave was working again. Truly amazing. RR was humble and said he wasn’t sure what he did to repair it, but the reality of the matter is, he was fearless enough to tackle a problem that 90% of the population, including myself, would not have even attempted, and it worked.

That’s worth a lot. Now we have a microwave, and of course we wondered how we ever lived without it.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: