Wednesday, December 26, 2012

White Christmas

It’s funny how Mother Nature works. We’ve been without snow for months (I’m not whining, I promise), which makes winter a little more bleak because everything is brown vs. white, and seemingly out of the blue, we got snow on Christmas. Not a lot, but just enough to make for a white Christmas, which is really a nice thing. It definitely made things more cheerful, and we had a wonderful day just hanging out, opening presents, and eating tons of treats. So many treats, in fact, that I found it affected me. I’m just not used to eating all that junk food, or more specifically, sugar.

Either way, it was a really nice day, made all the nicer by waking up to snow on the ground. It’s a good thing I finished the wood pile, because once the snow starts covering the ground, things start to freeze into one solid mass. Mom started things off by making pancakes for breakfast, and then we basically lounged around, opened presents, and ate. We pace the opening of presents in order to make a day of it, but it also forces the kids to think about each gift and hopefully appreciate it more, rather than just tearing through the boxes in order to get to the next one. That I find disturbing.

We had a few glitches, of course, on our path to Christmas enlightenment. We were out of certain food items, but once again, BGs came to the rescue. They were open for a few hours on Christmas Day. Then I got stupidly ambitious and tried to make whole grain cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast, but they took way too long, and we ran out of cinnamon after BGs had closed. R needed it for her pumpkin pie, as well, so she took cinnamon sticks and ground them up with her seed grinder into powder. How cool is that?

At some point in the afternoon we needed to get out, so we went for a nice afternoon walk, which around this time of year means walking in the dark because the days are so short. We wanted to see the UU Church tree, but when we got there, the thing wasn’t lit. Why, I have no idea, but it was a little disappointing. Then for our big Christmas supper, we ran into another bump. A request was made for mashed turnips and carrots, but it seemed to take forever to cook the stupid tubers. I boiled them for what must have been 40 minutes, but they were still hard. We ended up eating them undercooked because it was getting late and we were hungry. Kind of a bummer. I also screwed up the meat by marinating it in the wrong stuff, but more on this later.

On a bright note, however, other things went very well. We cooked a London Broil, which I’d never done before. I’ve eaten it in the past and was never impressed, it struck me as tough and tasteless. After doing some research, I learned that this is because it’s a cheap piece of meat, even though it sure sounds gourmet. I found the trick is to cut it as thin as possible, then serve it with gravy. It’s the Arby’s approach. As I mentioned, I marinated the thing in a teriyaki like marinade, which was so stupid when you think about it. Teriyaki and gravy don’t go together, but I was foolishly led to believe that the marinade would tenderize the meat, which it did not. The reality is, if you’re cooking London Broil, it’s just going to be tough. There are no miracle cures for that. Fortunately the marinade was not overwhelming, so it was fine and the most importantly, the kids loved it. Next time I’ll just rub it with salt. One bright note about LB is that it sure is cheap. I’m curious to see if it works better with a nicer cut of meat.

Another good moment during our supper was the Yorkshire Pudding. I’m always getting requests from the kids to make YP, and what’s not to love? Flour, salt, butter and eggs. In the past, I would make it in a 9X9 baking dish. This is usually fine, but after doing the usual exhaustive research, I began to notice that pics often show these small, individual YPs on each plate. Kind of cool. I finally found a recipe that says to use a cupcake pan, and that’s what we did. The YPs came out beautiful, and they tasted great. Live and learn, right?

The kids loved the meal, and it was nice to be home by the wood stove, eating a family meal together. That’s what the holidays are all about, right?

Now we just have to get to the new year, and we can get on with our lives. Until then, hope everyone had a nice Christmas, and thanks for reading, and thanks to Bahman Farzad and 3liz4 for the pics.

No comments: