Thursday, December 13, 2012

Good Practice

Our good friend TG is coaching the smallest group of hockey players, and he’s all on his own. His assistant can’t make it for various reasons, and some of the other parents won’t help. I know this because A’s practice occurs at the same time, and N and I sit and watch. I told him I’d be willing to help, at the very least to pick up cones and toss pucks on the ice. He said it would be great.

I also asked if N could join in. He’s the youngest kid on his team, so this group is almost closer to his age. Plus, he gets to practice skills in a group that he got somewhat shortchanged on since he started hockey late. At this stage, the more ice time, the better. Finally, I can help out a friend.

Well, we did our first practice the other day, and I thought it worked our beautifully. The practices are more fun and relaxing because we don’t have the pressure of wanting to do well in front of DF, the Hockey Master. Also, the group is small, and N is really with kids more his own age. He gets a little confidence booster because he’s used to wrestling with the big boys.

All in all, it’s a good situation. Since A has her practice on the other half of the ice, we get to skate instead of just watching, though I rather miss having time to sit, relax, and watch the game, but that’s what happens when you join the cult of hockey. You just can’t get enough.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to University Recreation for the pic.

No comments: