Friday, December 29, 2017

Double Edged Sword

Life has been a little complicated lately with mom going back home over the course of the last month. With her away, it means that I need to be at home, which in turn means that I can't really go to work. This is fine when you're a SAHD as me because the jobs I do are all part-time and flexible, though it probably doesn't win me any points with the powers that be at the Inn. And, of course, it also means that I'm not earning the big bucks to support our fabulous lifestyles. Fortunately, with it being the holidays and all, work on both fronts is pretty slow. Things at the Inn have been reduced to a trickle because people just don't get married in the wintertime, and posters are pretty much on hold with the school break. Plus, poster-boy work is very flexible, as long as the work gets done.

And looking at the bright side, it's good that my presence is not a must because I really have been needed at home. While being destitute is never a fun thing, it has been nice being at home and not rushing out to get to work. Plus, work at the Inn has become a bit of a chore, with a bunch of good people leaving and the work becoming increasingly demanding. I'm finding the work environment somewhat depressing for several reasons, not the least of which is that the shifts are really long, morale is low (I'm not alone in finding it all depressing), the staff is shrinking, and it's really not that much fun. I'm definitely not excited about going in, and several people I've spoken with share the same sentiment. It's almost as if they see us as replaceable, which of course we are, but do they have to make it so obvious?

Sure, the paycheck is nice, but one thing I've learned as I've gotten older is that money isn't everything. I generally make a bigger paycheck with the Inn than I would with private caterers mainly because the Inn shifts are longer, usually twice as long, so I usually make twice as much at the same rate. Problems arise, however, when the rates are not the same, and this happened this year. We worked a few weddings and made the same amount as a private gig (while working twice as long), so it begs the question, is it worth it? My thinking goes something like this - no thank you.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd just as soon work a shift that's half as long, in a nicer work environment that can actually be fun (go figure), and have more of my day for my life. Another bonus with the private gigs is that we basically set up, serve the meal, clean up, and we're done. At the Inn there is a lot more setup and breakdown, which includes moving tons of furniture, and then we have to set up for the next event the next day. It's a lot of heavy lifting and believe me when I tell you that it's a drag knowing that once the event ends, there are 2 more hours of work ahead of you.

Okay, I've gone off on a tangent of epic proportions, but it's something worth thinking about for next year, especially if I want to maintain our fabulous lifestyles. I will say this - I don't think I need to save up for any new surfboards... I think.

-->
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Amir Zhafri Abdullah for the pic.

No comments: