Saturday, December 23, 2017

Rock Stars

A's band jammed out at the local school this past week, and it was a cool show. Being the boring and out-of-touch parent that I am, I'm not completely clued in as to what's cool with kids these days, but when I was growing up, being in a band was the thing. It didn't matter if you could play or not, just getting up there on stage and making an appearance was enough to make you too cool for words. It sure earned my respect. A's band rocked out and they did a nice job. In fact, all the bands played well, and most of them were comprised of the audience's classmates. I enjoyed the show, but on some level I couldn't help but think the crowd had other places to be. It's a shame because it takes a lot of courage and wherewithal to get up there and play. These performers deserve the audiences respect. They sure as heck would have gotten it when I was a kid, but times have changed.

Today kids seemed to be more jaded about what I thought was cool, maybe because of technology, or maybe because they're just more sophisticated. I can't say for sure, but these guys didn't seem as interested or enthused. Even still, I give the bands top marks for just doing it. Like Woody Allen says, 87% of life is just showing up. You're not always going to get the response you want, and maybe that's just an important lesson in life. You can't always play just for your parents, who will give you unflinchingly enthusiastic support. Life, as we all know, just doesn't work that way.

We had a good time, nonetheless, and I was stoked because N got to hang out with his hockey teammates, most of whom attend the school. What's cool is that they recognized and acknowledged him, enough to where he broke off from me and sat with them, despite them being surrounded by kids he didn't know. That's pretty huge.

-->
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Vince for the pic.

No comments: