Saturday, March 10, 2018

Sugar Free

-->
I never thought I'd see this day come in my life of gluttony, but I recently tried to stop eating sugar, or at least cut back, because in reality it's virtually impossible (for someone like myself) to completely avoid sugar. In light of this, I guess the most accurate way to put it is that I cut dessert out of my meal plan. This is tantamount to saying that I've pretty much removed my reason for living... just kidding, though it's worth mentioning that by not having dessert, I've probably cut out 1/3 of the calories in my diet because dessert is so calorie dense. This is especially true with ice cream, being the compulsive eater that I am (I don't mess around when it comes to dessert). I could easily put away half a pound of chocolate after supper, and believe me, I did.

I guess I can sort of trace it back to my recent cholesterol test, which was weighing on my mind. Now that I've reached the ancient 5-0 milestone, it's time to start thinking about how to care for the old body, or rather not just thinking, but actually putting a plan into action. I knew I was going to have to have my blood tested, and since it was a source of anxiety, naturally I put it off and ignored it in the hopes that it would just go away. Of course it didn't. My concerns were exacerbated by the fact that in the years leading up to this, I was eating ice cream, on average, about 327 days a year. On the days that I wasn't imbibing in my favorite food, I would put away cookies or chocolate by the handful. It was a little compulsive, to say the least.

At some point I knew I had to deal with this, so in the months leading up to my blood test, I quit eating ice cream, and believe me, it wasn't easy. I contemplated joining a monastery to help me in this quest, but then I'd have to cut my hair and quit playing hockey, and I wasn't willing to go there (though the robes wouldn't have been half bad). My ice cream abstention lasted about a month, though I still consumed plenty of cookies and chocolate, and then I had my blood tested and if you can believe this (I still can't), my cholesterol was in good shape. They say the ratio of good/bad is what you want to keep in mind, and I ended up okay on that front... can you hear the huge sigh of relief?

Naturally, that very night I had a big bowl of ice cream to celebrate, and believe it or not, it didn't get my endorphins firing like I thought it would. Sure, it tasted good, but it wasn't life altering like I anticipated. It dawned on me that maybe I didn't need ice cream and cookies, after all. I felt like Woody Allen in Hannah and Her Sisters when he learned he didn't have a brain tumor - he was so stoked, but then he had this epiphany about life. I had a similar epiphany, except about ice cream.

I decided that maybe I should give this ice cream abstinence a chance, and then why not just apply it to all sweets? It really began in earnest when we went up to Maine for a family vacation, and for whatever reason, I decided to stop having dessert at that time. This isn't easy when you're at a breakfast buffet, where muffins and danishes are screaming your name, but I managed.

And you know what I discovered? I felt a lot better, so much so that the difference was striking. Within a couple of days of removing sugar, or at least copious amounts of it, I had more energy and didn't feel like crap all the time. I naturally attributed my constant state of fatigue to sleep deprivation and just getting old, both of which are valid, but since I cut sugar out, my head has cleared, as if a cloud has been lifted. Again, I can't believe how significantly different I feel. Even when I'm tired, I don't feel all crappy and cloudy like I did in the past, and this sort of makes sense because my golden hour is in the AM when I wake up and have coffee. That's when I feel the most alert and invincible, probably because I'm rested and I haven't eaten any sugar. As the day progresses, I just feel worse and worse.

Looking back, I realize how bad sugar made me feel. My kids will vouch for this, but I was always tired throughout the day... then again, I still am, but in a different way. After eating sugar, I had this cloudy fatigue that made me just feel awful, like a hangover, or as if my brain was stained with something, which it was. I didn't make the connection in the past, despite all the info that's out there, not to mention the wisdom of mom, who is always railing on sugar. I guess I was in denial because sugar it's hard not to love the stuff.

Either way, there are numerous positives to cutting out sugar, besides the health benefits, which alone are reason enough. The kids might not like this, but since I am reducing sweets, I'm not buying or making them, thus denying them in the process. Since my caloric intake has been reduced, I'm eating less so I naturally feel lighter on my feet, and my clothes fit better. I have more time because I'm not baking cookies or cakes, and we're saving money because sweets can take up a significant portion of your grocery bill.

Needless to say, cutting sugar out of my diet has given me a new perspective on life. I know how corny and extreme this sounds, but I'm pretty stoked about it, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. If anything, I thought it would be impossible. I don't mean to sit here and proselytize, and I'm not denying mom or the kids their chance to eat sweets, but I figure if their worst dietary role model is cleaning up his act, it will probably encourage them to clean up theirs, as well. For the record, they do a fine job without my encouragement.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to kitty nancy for the pic.

No comments: