Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sick in the Family

I'm trying to put a positive spin on things, so I guess it’s fair to say that it’s better that this is happening early in the winter than later, right? Or maybe not. Either way, we are sick, or should I say, I am sick? My sense is that we’ve all been through this and I’m the last man standing, or laying in bed, depending on how you see it. I hope this is the case because if I’m the last one, then maybe we can have an uneventful winter in terms of illness.

Last year was brutal as we all go the flu and were coughing for six months. I’m not exaggerating, it was that bad. Add in hockey season and it was a rough winter. This year the kids seemed to get sick early on, then R got it on our trip to California, and now here I am, sick as a dog while everyone else is fit as a fiddle. I wonder if the R and the kids benefitted from a few days in warm dry California to help clear out their symptoms. I hope so.

Every year it seems like the same pattern emerges. Everyone gets sick and it appears like I’m going to squeak by without any major symptoms, and before I know it, I’m feeling that familiar scratching feeling in the back of my throat. Within a day or two I’m sick. This time around I wasn’t laid out in bed for days, but it still feels a bit lousy, especially when there’s so much to deal with. Oh well, such is life, you have to keep plugging along. A good lesson that parenthood teaches you is that you can’t afford to sit around feeling sorry for yourself, there are lives that need attending to and you’re the attendant.


With that in mind, I need to make lunch and head over to the arena. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Jake Nickell for the pic.

No comments: