Friday, February 2, 2018

Absent With Leave

I have to extend a bit of thanks to the Inn for understanding my current situation, which has been a bit hectic, to say the least. I took the entire month of December off, and there were events where they asked me to work. Nothing like the summer time, but big ones nonetheless. January had one or two events, but nothing too big, but with February in full swing, I think things are starting to heat up, and come March and April, love will be in the air and weddings will commence. Funny how that works.

I was recently put on the schedule for a couple of big ones and I had to ask for them off. In fact, I had to request that I not be put on the schedule for another month, at least. Not until the middle of March, and my first thought was that they were going to tell me to take a hike. On the one hand I understand because if you can't work for them, why keep you around? What have you done for me lately? For the record, the Inn is not that way.

Also, we're not exactly saving lives over there. Yes, I understand the need for diligent and reliable people, but it's also a seasonal part-time gig where there is nothing going on for months and then when springtime hits, it's showtime and then you're on. Not that I'm complaining, simply making a point.

On that note, I was expecting to get an earful when I asked for so much time off, or maybe even get sacked, but my supervisor was understanding. Perhaps she relates to the whole thing with the part-time work, or more realistically, it's not crazy time just yet, and she has enough crew to fill the gaps. Whatever be the case, she was cool about it, and for that, I'm grateful. Sure, it means I'm broke and have to scale back on our fabulous lifestyle, but sometimes you just have to be a little more practical and frugal. It's the New England way, after all.

-->
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to bjg_snaps for the pic.

No comments: