Monday, February 19, 2018

No Rest For the Fanatical

-->
I've been doing the adult learn to play (LTP) hockey program in the big city and it's been such a blast, though I started thinking that it would be nice to have one more day to just scrimmage. The LTP is a blast, and it's awesome to be with DD, the coach, who is not only just a great guy, but a great coach whose success on the ice speaks for itself. More importantly than anything else, however, is how much of a great guy he is. It's just a blast to be on the ice when he's running the show.

However, being the wet blanket that I am, if there was one thing that I would complain about, and there's always something for me to complain about, it's that I would love to have more time to scrimmage, or play pick-up games. We spend about 75% of our 2 hours doing drills, which are fun and very helpful, but I also really enjoy playing games. Sometimes we only get 10-15 minutes to scrimmage, and it's kind of a bummer, but nobody would complain because time with DD is time well spent.

I looked into playing in some of the lower level leagues, but the times just don't work for me. The one that I was interested in played between 9-11PM on Saturday night, which is just too late for my sorry old ass. I played in an adult league that played at a similar time and it's very difficult to come home after a long day and then leave the house that evening. I just want to take a phat nap.

One of the guys we do LTP with, MB, plays on the weekends in the early AM. While it's not always easy to wake up and get out the door at that time, I could do it, and it would leave the rest of my day open to take care of life stuff, like taking my son to his hockey games. I inquired and he said the group was pretty full and they didn't want to have too big of a crowd. I completely understood and was resigned to just playing twice a week, which is still pretty good.

Well, just the other day, MB mentioned that some of the group had stopped coming and there was space if I was interested. Boy, was I ever. It's a new crowd for me, though I know a couple of the skaters from LTP. They are good and have a good hockey sense (way more than me), so it's a challenge but I'm not too out of depth. And it's fun. I'm pretty tired by the end but I'm hoping to continue until the ice goes away, or until they kick me off the team because they're sick of me, whichever comes first.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Jason Kurylo for the pic.

No comments: