Thursday, November 5, 2009

Making Martha Stewart Proud

Excuse me it I'm being redundant, but we went out and got a food processor, and I have to confess, the thing has changed our lives. And I got the small one (it was cheaper). Just think if I'd bought the big monster, we could have changed the world.

As I may have also mentioned, we bought it on Macys.com because we had gift cards my mom gave us four years ago, and figured we had to use them for something. Anyway, we used the thing to make falafels, and it was amazing. We try to eat vegetarian at least 3-4 days a week, and as I'd discussed with DR (my sister in law), cooking vegetarian is harder. Meat is easy, you cook it, add a sprig of parsley as a garnish, and just like that, you have a gourmet meal.

Not so with vegetables/beans. You really have to spice them up (literally and figuratively) to make them interesting, especially for kids. In this respect, falafels are a winner, because they almost seem like meat, and are a great way to fulfill your protein and fiber requirement.

The only problem is, they are labor intensive. In the past, pre-processor days, I used to mash the chickpeas in a mortar and pestle. The blender didn't work because they need liquid. Then all that chopping of garlic, onions, and parsley. If the kids didn't love them so much, I'd never make them.

The processor, however, has changed everything. I love that thing, and it scores high on the entertainment scale, so you can't go wrong. Except, of course, when your Mentor shakes his head and wonders to himself, "How did I ever become associated with such a big sissy?" Oh well, you can't win them all, and in the end, your manhood takes a hit now and then for the good of your family. Believe it or not, it can be a fairly liberating experience.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: