Tuesday, October 13, 2015

AWOL

Apologies for my long absence, but I've been pretty swamped with work and life stuff. There is a lot going on and for whatever reason I've been feeling pretty uninspired to do much other than work, sleep, and then work some more. I will say that it's not a bad thing to make some money, even though the hours can be long, but at least there's some degree of flexibility, and the time slots are, for the most part, fairly convenient.

I've been working at all my jobs and it's been a little crazy. Poster boy work is thankfully constant and flexible, but all the others are somewhat random, especially the standardized patient work. As much as I enjoy it, it's difficult when you don't hear from them for months and then suddenly they want you to come in for an hour. Is it really worth it? The uncertainty can be a challenge, and the hours aren't always so convenient for me, especially now that A is in school in the AM.

Catering has been fruitful on a number of levels. The pay is good, at the Inn they are really understanding of my need for some flexibility, and I enjoy the work. When you've spent several years as a SAHD, it's nice to get out amongst people and move around. Plus, since it's food service, I always end up with all the leftovers that they're going to throw out. How can you not love that? The comestibles are special event fair, so it's usually on the gourmet end of the food spectrum, including filet mignon, halibut, and an amazing assortment of dessert pastries. Fun stuff.

For a while there it seemed like I was working non-stop and it was a little crazy, but things have slowed down with the end of summer, and now that fall foliage is winding down, I've been told the catered events come to a halt, at least until the holidays. It's a bummer to not make the income, but I sure could use a break, especially with hockey season looming on the horizon.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Andrej Trnkoczy for the pic.

No comments: