Monday, March 6, 2017

Skiing and Boarding While We Can

The weather has been really crazy this past month, and while I'm not a fan of how things went, we were able to take advantage of the good days, which of course made the bad days less painful. The crazy progression started several weeks back, when we were hit with several storms, some of which were significant. I recall one where it snowed, followed by freezing rain, which is a bummer. The thing is, the next day the temps skyrocketed to 45 degrees, so the ice melted and the snow was good. We had a great day of skiing at the Skiway. N and A rode their snowboards (and shred) and I skied. I was initially reluctant because being the old man that I am I can't handle poor ski conditions, but it was a lot of fun. Up to that point the best day of skiing we'd had.

Then we had a big storm come in on Sunday and they canceled school, so we headed to S6 and had a great day of skiing. We're not used to skiing fresh, un-groomed powder up here, but there it was. We had a blast, though again, being the old man that I am, I don't do as well with anything other than perfectly groomed packed powder. I'm not complaining, but I had to change the way I ski in different conditions, actually using my poles, which I don't usually employ.

We got a fair amount of skiing in, way more than last year, where I don't think A skied a single day. It's good we jumped on it when we could, because within a week the conditions got really bad, with warm weather (in the 50s) and massive rainstorms coming in. This past weekend the temps dropped to single digits, with wind chills at -20 in the evening. How crazy is that? Naturally, all that melted snow turned into a massive sheet of ice, which I think pretty much ended the ski season. We did the Skiway last week for the FS program and I thought it was a bad idea. What little snow there was was terrible, and there were so many brown patches that I thought it was borderline dangerous, at least for little kids learning to ski.

Personally, I'm fine if we just call it a season (it was a good one for us) and move into spring, but that's not my decision to make, and nobody cares what I think.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Rutger Geerling for the pic.
-->

No comments: