Friday, March 3, 2017

Surf Prep

I don't want to talk too much about things that haven't happened or project into the future, but of course I can't help myself. I'm currently venturing into more OCD territory in terms of gear, as if I needed another avenue for this, but this is important stuff. My next big project is to teach the kids how to surf, and I managed to address one big piece of the puzzle by getting my surfboard out of LA. We now have two boards, and need a third to be complete. I won't divulge my plan to address this, at least not yet. One nice thing about surfing is that there is a lot less gear than hockey and skiing, and for the most part, it costs a lot less. The board is the biggest expense, but once you've got that, you're all set... sort of. Now I need to find wetsuits for the kids, which is not an easy proposition when you're landlocked like we are. I can easily find them online, and have even found some pretty good deals on new suits, but they can't try them on. If there was a surf shop or even a dive shop nearby, they could at least get a sense of what size they need, but no such luck.

There are surf shops in New England, no doubt, you just need to head to the coast. We may do this in the near future, which would be great because surf shops are very cool, and they could of course try on wetsuits. The other alternative is to get one that I think is close to their size and if it doesn't fit, exchange it for the a different size. There are some additional costs to this method because of shipping, but only on the returns because what I'm seeing is free shipping to me. Besides, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, especially when it comes to catching waves.

It's still early in the season to feel rushed about this, but as with everything I seem to get involved with, it's sure to be an adventure. Stay tuned for more.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Eduardo Avalith for the pic.
-->

No comments: