Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Burning Like Crazy

As is usually the case, we've burned through all of this year's wood, which is en par for the course except that it happened much earlier than usual. As a result, we've been dipping into next year's wood for some time now, and it pains me to see how that pile is dwindling. To compound my suffering, it's only April and we will probably burn wood for another two months. I could see burning through at least 1/3 of next year's wood, which is crazy when you think about it. How could this happen? This winter wasn't even that severe, and we had some stretches of really warm weather, and when I say warm, I'm talking crazy warm.

Either way, no sense in whining about it... yeah, right. I have a theory or two about what happened, and on a bright note, it is fixable. I made a conscious effort this past summer to split the wood thicker. I did this because the bigger pieces burn longer, but it makes my life easier - for any given block of wood, there is less splitting to do. Big pieces take longer to dry, but I figured since it was year two, it had plenty of time to dry. Now my biggest issue with big pieces is that they take up a lot of space, so when you stack it, you get less bang for your buck. I know it's all supposed to be the same in the end, but I do think smaller pieces stack more densely and subsequently, there is more wood to burn for a pile of the same size. At least that's how it feels.

The take home message is that I'm either going to have to split the wood smaller again, or stack the pile higher, or both. This dipping into year two is a drag, but dipping this much into year two is completely unacceptable. I was so stoked this fall because I had two killer piles going and I was ready, but having burned through so much wood I'm beginning to reassess my feelings of pride. I'm not so bitchen, after all, am I?

Plus, with spring's arrival, I get to stress about obtaining another truckload of logs, which is never a simple matter. We'll see how this goes.

-->
Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to hans.emtenas for the pic.

No comments: