Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Contact

In a break from past behaviors, I have been talking to my mom on an amazingly regular basis. I'm talking 4-5 times a week, which is more than I talked to them when I lived at home. My mom has been having health issues, and she's alone out in LA. This is a complicated situation because she's a very difficult person to be around and she alienates every single person she is close to. She has even pushed her kids to the breaking point, but being her kids, we always come back for more. I went for years without contact, and I don't deny that I was not an ideal son, but it was an intolerable situation and I did what I felt I had to do.

Now, with her health on the fringe, I feel like I have to suck it up and be more of a presence. For all it's worth, my mom had mellowed out and is not as vindictive, though she still enjoys sticking the knife in now and then. I guess I have to just lose a little blood because she's getting up there in the years and as I mentioned, she doesn't really have a lot of help out there. My brother was being pretty helpful and attentive, but even he got fed up with her abuse.

Speaking of my brother, I've re-connected with him, as well. It's been a little awkward but on the whole pleasant, so I just have to go with it. It makes my mom happy that we're talking, and I think that as my mom deals with her health issues, it's better if her two loser sons are there to help out. It's the right thing to do, and I feel better that we are somehow coming together as a family.

So I'm going back out there to help out, and I think my brother is coming down, as well, with his fiance, no less. It's hard for me to make this trip because there is always so much going on, but it's time to be a man, right? We'll see how this one goes.

-->
Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Keith A D for the pic.

No comments: