Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Bringing Mom Home

My mom's recovery from surgery went smoothly and more quickly than they'd anticipated, so she was able to come home earlier than usual. We brought her home this Saturday and now she's here back at her house, which she loves. It's a fine house in an upscale neighborhood but I think it's too isolated for her. When you live out here you realize how challenging life is when you have to drive for 20 minutes just to get to the just about anything. It is close to UCLA, I'll give you that.

Either way, up to that point our stay had been pretty free-wheeling and relaxing. The weather was perfect, with mildly warm days and cool nights, so we really made the most of it. With my mom's return, however, it really started to get hot, more in line with what I remember Cali weather to be.

All in all it was pretty manageable with all five of us under one roof. I was a little concerned because my mom camps out in the living room, which is understandable, but it makes it harder for the rest of us because we can't really just go about our lives without inconveniencing her. This meant hanging out in our rooms for extended periods, which is fine except that there is no WiFi or TV. So I went to Target and got a router and hooked it up to her modem. She plugs into her firewire cable, so it's single usage at her house. With the router, we could get WiFi in any room. My biggest concern was somehow affecting her internet experience, but it was a seamless transition and she didn't even know it was there. Perfect.

With mom comfortable in her place, we did what we could to help her and then went out for most of the day, which meant being stuck in LA traffic all day. It was fine, we got to see a lot of things but we also felt like we had to be there to help out, so we limited our sojourns to a few hours and then checked back in.

The trip was fine, I think it went well, and I'm glad that we spent some time with my mom. I'm also glad that she got to see how nicely the kids are growing, and that they got to meet their (other) grandmother, who was for the most part very civil except for tossing out a few barbs now and then. Thankfully, most of them were directed at me.

-->
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to kane Lynch for the pic.