Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Painting Prep

I can't let this summer go by without making a dent in the painting that needs to be done on the house. It's really hard just to get started, so I've found it to be a good idea to do as much prep ahead of time so when I have some free time, which is never, I can hit the ground running. That way the 15 minutes of preparation that discourages me from doing something in the first place is already taken care of. No more excuses, dad.

With this in mind, I need to paint the western gable end of the house, including the trim. One of the problems I face (because I'm such a wimp) is that at some point I either have the sun directly in my face or blasting 100 degree temps on my head. The best time is the early morning, before the sun can peek over the roof, and late afternoon, when the sun is a lot cooler. Morning is tough because two of the bedrooms have windows facing the west, and I don't want to wake anybody up. By about noon the sun is hitting its stride, so I have from about 10:00AM to 12:00 for optimal performance. Once high noon hits, it's pretty miserable out there. This does not make it impossible, it's just that I don't have a huge slab of time, so I have to make the most of it.

This means having all the paint, brushes, and ladders at the ready. I think I've achieved this, so it's really just a question of going out there and doing it, which as we all know is much harder than it sounds. We'll see how this goes.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Rebecca Siegel for the pic.
-->

No comments: