Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Freelance Writing

Okay, so my glorious freelance career is in it's nascent phase. It's kind of exciting, actually, though I've felt this before when I first started to write for Helium and then bumped up to AC. There's a certain rush to not only seeing your stuff in "print," whatever that means, but also to having people actually reading it and commenting on it. Even when it's garbage, which most of it is.

I have to confess, there's a certain disingenuous quality to all the accolades that your writing gets on these sites. In a sense, Helium is more sincere since people are anonymously voting on your stuff and are not afraid to hold back. With AC, on the other hand, people shower you with praise even when your stuff is crap. And most of it is crap.

Either way, it's nice to get some feedback, and you can't beat the sense of community. People are incredibly helpful and supportive.

On that note, I've begun writing for Parenting Squad. I applied for the writing position and I couldn't believe it when the offered me the job. They're base in LA, of all places, and there are a lot of Asians working it. I'm guessing UCLA grads, so we have a common bond.

In terms of getting my act together, thanks to the guys at Parenting Squad, especially Linsey and Lynn, who have been very helpful.

When I first started writing, I felt like I'd gotten myself into a whole. You know, the whole biting off more than I can chew thing, but I'm finding a groove and realizing that when you're a stay at home dad, there's no shortage of things to write about. What amazes me is how people freelance and still manage to keep a blog. Even two or three. I'm giving it a try.

Thanks also to Linsey for the help writing my resume. It's always so hard to venture into a new field, but here goes. We'll see where this one leads me.

More later and thanks for reading.

No comments: