Monday, December 7, 2009

First Snow and Taking a Break

It seems like it's late, but it finally snowed. We probably got around 2-3 inches, with nice coverage. The irony of it all is that I've been pining for snow since October and when we finally got it, all I could wonder was, "Why now?" I was in the midst of wrapping up the barn and the cold weather makes it hard to do certain things, so as I was applying I&W shield, the snow came down on my head, making the flashing wet and compromising its adhesive qualities.


The kids came out to play and loved it, and I regret that I couldn't stop what I was doing to enjoy it with them, but I felt a sense of time urgency in getting this stuff done. What a bummer. Responsibilities can be such a drag. Then again, it's up to me to get my priorities straight.

I managed to get enough done to get into my snow clothes and play with the kids. We had a major snowball fight and since it was two against one, dad took a beating, which is the way it should be. It's hilarious because the kids built snow castles on the roof of the car and I wasn't really paying attention to it, so when I went to the store to get some vittles, I came out of the parking lot and couldn't figure out what was on top of the car, only to realize I'd been driving around with these architectural masterpieces. A good way to showcase their engineering prowess.

We also went and got our Christmas tree. We got to our usual spot, the local lumber mill Wrights, and picked out a winner. It was later in the evening and the snow was coming down in sheets, giving us the full White Christmas effect, but since it was late in the evening, we couldn't really set the tree up inside. So we left it on the porch, where it fell over and looked sad and lonely the next morning, but it was a momentary situation.

I've managed to move along on the barn and feel a little less stressed about time, though there are still a countless number of things that need to be done. Even still, I can stop obsessing over the thing. We are one step closer to sealing the beast up. I don't feel like I can stop altogether, but at least I don't have to think about it 24/7. Maybe just 15 hours a day.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good one on First Snow and Taking a Break - it helps a lot!

We clearly share similar parenting experiences and views.
I've been reading one that I'm hooked on - http://todayscliche.com/.
I have a feeling you'd get a lot out of it.

Incredible job on your blog; keep it up.

Thanks,
peter