Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Squeaky Wheel

They say the squeaky wheel gets oiled, and while that may be true, I do know this - the silent wheel gets nothing... except for maybe some bitterness and resentment. I've learned this firsthand on a daily basis, throughout my life, because I'm not always one to speak up and ask for what I want or for that matter, what is rightfully mine. It's a frustrating way to go through life, because nobody is going to stand up for your rights other than yourself.

A recent event really brought this to light. At the Christmas performance one of the parents recorded the show on video. For the record, he did a really nice job. The only problem I had was that he then posted it on YouTube. My first thought was, "Whoa, I'm not sure I'm so into that."

I wrestled with this one, and wasn't sure what to do. I could have just kept my mouth shut and left it at that. Finally, I spoke up and said I wasn't so keen on having all of our kids on YouTube along with the name of the town we live in. I felt bad because they are really cool parents. Either way, as soon as I opened the floodgates, other parents chimed in and said they agreed. I was worried someone was going to tell me to lighten up.

The parent in question ended up removing the video, and I'm glad I said something. Somehow, when it comes to your kids, you have to make a stink when something doesn't seem right, especially when it involves the Web.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Colin Brough for the pic.


Youtube debacle

No comments: