Monday, May 12, 2014

A Nice Day for Mom

Hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day yesterday. I started the day off by calling my mom first thing in the (late) morning, which is out of character for me, but in this era of good will, I'm happy that communication is not only civil, but flowing regularly. She's doing well, very busy and making the most of her free time. She enjoyed talking to the kids, whom I threw to the lions without giving them much prep time. Sorry to them for that, but sometimes it's easier to just do it without much thought.

As for our day, we lucked out with spectacular weather, the kind my friend GS says reminds you of why you can't imagine living anywhere else. The sun was shining, it was warm and breezy, and you just couldn't ask for a nicer day. Even I, the king of whining, couldn't find a reason to complain, though I searched diligently for one.

Since it was mom's day, we let her set the agenda. In years past, she always chose to go on a hike on Mt. Tom and have a picnic on the top. This year we decided to spice things up a bit and go for brunch beforehand, and then do the hike. We went to the Worthy Kitchen in the village and had a really nice meal, it's a cool place with a unique arrangement. You sort of do things yourself, not quite cafeteria style, but with a minimal amount of service. It works beautifully, it's my kind of arrangement, and I'm told it keeps costs down. I had a gift certificate that I was got from my daughter's hockey team for being a coach, so we were good shape.

We loved the meal, I had steak and eggs, R got the chicken tacos, N got the fried chicken sandwich (I was jealous), and A got the banana bread French Toast, which was smothered in chocolate sauce. It was so rich that we decided that she should eat some real food and have that for desert, so she got the tacos, as well.

After brunch, we headed to the Farmer's Market to get some sweets, but there was a fundraiser car wash/bake sale en route, so we opted for that and stocked up on treats. Then it was off to the hill. The weather couldn't have been better for a hike, and the constant breeze even made it slightly cool. Even the usual suspects that complain about hikes didn't complain, and we ate our treats at the top. The view was fabulous, and we lounged in the sun and enjoyed ourselves.

We stopped off at the garden on our way home and R got to start her peas, which is her gardening raison d'etre (mine is tomatoes), then it was back home for a nice simple supper and winding down for bed.

My kind of day, though I didn't get any work done on the wood pile. Oh well, it's a small price to pay to spend a nice day with your family.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Steven Lipton for the pic.

No comments: