Friday, May 30, 2014

Home Alone

The kids have been away at camp all week, and R and I have been working furiously on a number of projects now that we have all this free time. Not having to make meals sure opens things up in terms of your obligations. Not only that, but we've been living it up. The other night we went to see a movie together (when does that ever happen?), and when we watch movies at home, we turn the volume up really high because we don't have to worry about waking up the kids. How's that for being wild and crazy?

As for meals, we pretty much wing it for lunch, and then for supper we've been meeting up in the big city to split a big Cobb Salad Wrap burrito at Boloco. Talk about killer, I love those things. Then we head home to work on the yard, and have been particularly diligent about the garden. In fact, we've expanded our horizons quite a bit. What started out as one garden plot has turned into nearly three, as well as our home garden. What are we thinking?

We've even been a bit spontaneous. I've been meeting R on a whim near work to have supper or just hang out in the big city, often times without a plan. Can you believe it? The other day she had to go into work for a short stint, and I was mowing the lawn and dropped everything and went in with her. It was actually fun, she worked and I wandered the empty hospital (my future employer) and read old magazines in the waiting rooms. There are plenty of them. It actually worked out nicely because I had a daylong orientation for my potential job (more on this later), and it would have been harder if I had the kids with me all day. In fact, I'm not sure how I would have pulled that one off.

All in all, it's quiet and peaceful, but we think about the kids all the time (worry?) and miss them. I have to confess, my routines are thrown into a bit of upheaval without them there. Sure, I have plenty to do around here, but I enjoy being their servant. In the meantime, I've got a woodpile to finish and a garden to plant, not to mention a glorious freelance writing career to jumpstart.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Sasha for the pic.

No comments: