Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Freelance Gigs

If you can believe this one, I'm actually getting some freelance writing gigs. I was contacted a few weeks back by a friend whom I spoke with several months ago about writing for a living. She is a former editor at the VNews and now works at the big University in their PR department. She was very kind and helpful, but did not come outright and offer me work. She did say she would keep me in mind and to stay in touch.

Fast forward a few months and I get an email saying they were looking for some freelance writers and if I was interested. Was I ever! I was a little worried because this was around the time of our trip, and I had some anxiety about them trying to contact me while we were Belize, which didn't happen. I did, however, get my first assignment before our trip, which went fine, but I wasn't really sure how happy they were with my work. I turned in the assignment, and then didn't hear back. I figured it was a good thing to put on my resume and would have to leave it at that.

Well, this past week the editor contacted me and asked if I could cover some news at the school. Boy was I stoked. Now the ball is in my court, so it's either put up or shut up... is that what they say?

Whatever be the case, I'm grateful for the chance. Now it'll be interesting to see what I do with it.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Stefano Carnevali for the pic.

No comments: