Friday, May 30, 2014

Employment Report

It looks like I may have found part time work, though it's on a per diem basis, so technically I'm not regularly employed. I'm not sure how this plays out with the unemployment office, but it's something I'll have to look into. The whole job search process has been interesting and, dare I say, entertaining. It's been awhile since I've had to search for employment, and it was strange jumping back in. On a positive note, it has forced me to put some thought into my resume and cover letters, all of which will help me find writing jobs, or for that matter, all jobs.

I saw a listing for a standardized (STD) patient and figured it might be interesting, so I applied. If there's one thing I've learned from all this it's that the process is slow. Sometimes it takes months just to hear a rejection, and this time was no different. At some point you forget that you've even applied, you just keep plugging along. I received an email informing me that I was under consideration but needed to go through the interview process.

I figured that since it was a part-time, per diem job, it would be no big deal, but that has not been the case. I've had to go through a couple of interviews, fill out all sorts of forms, go through background checks and drug testing/health screening, and at some point I'll have to spend all day at an orientation session. I realize that when the hospital hires someone, they have them all go through a blanket hiring process, but it's a little crazy, isn't it? I mean, really, I'm going to work sparingly and for peanuts. Do I really need to go through all this?

In the end, what I think doesn't matter. All that matters is that I can find some work to help fund our fabulously opulent lifestyles. I'll keep searching for that elusive dream writing job and see where the standardized patient gig takes me. Stay tuned for more, this should get interesting.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Flazingo Photos for the pic. 

No comments: