Thursday, January 8, 2015

A Few Days Off

When the holidays were in full swing, I have to say that it was nice to get a break from hockey. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the reality is, with the kids a little older and the skill level up a notch, I feel a little superfluous at times. Sure, I can be helpful on some level, but they are good enough now to where they need some serious coaching, and my background excludes me from qualifying from this group. That is not to say that I can't help out and be useful, but in order to become really good hockey players, they need real coaching. Fortunately, they have 3 other coaches who are the real deal, so I can be superfluous and the kids still get a good experience out of it.

With that in mind, I feel I have a semi-bad attitude about it all because the reality is, there are times I don't know exactly why I'm out there. I think N may appreciate it on some level, even though I probably embarrass him at times, but on the whole I value the fact I can be a part of his experience, and A's, as well. That doesn't mean, however, that I'm not glad to get a few days off. I love hockey just as much as the next guy, but 6 out of 7 days a week is a bit much. Even the kids, individually, don't go to the rink that much. It's just me!

I'd better make the most of my vacation time, because once the new year starts, it's back into the grind, keeping mind that we're supposed to be having fun, right?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Tanya Puntti for the pic.

No comments: