Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The End is Near

If you can believe it, the hockey season is winding down, and there are only a few weeks left. Hard to imagine life without hockey, but these sort of things do happen. The end of the season is always a bit of a scramble as games get shifted and added and the state tournament starts. Then it's time to think about the next phase of our life, and there's always a next phase.

In the beginning I was fanatical about hockey, thus my extensive involvement, but over time I've learned to temper my enthusiasm because it gets to be extreme. Some families live for the game, and I can understand it on one level, but on another, it strikes me as misguided. What is the goal in all this?

Fortunately the kids are pretty level headed about it all and don't want to play all year round, even though at one point I was willing to indulge this fantasy. R would have killed me. The kids love the game and during the season that's what it's all about, but once the season ends, it's time to move on with our lives.


Eventually the weather will get warmer and the snow will melt, and then we'll get to spend more time outside, but before we get to that point, there's still hockey to consider. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Andrew Gardecki for the pic.

No comments: