Monday, June 27, 2016

Doing It Backwards

After all my boasting and pride about getting the clapboards done, I've realized that I did things out of sequence and am paying the price for it. As you may have heard I was feeling good about myself (such a rare thing) having painted the bottom half of the house. It really needed it in certain sections, and I was actually relieved to have finally gotten it done. It didn't take long, however, to realize that what I should have done was paint the windows and trim first, then gone back and painted the clapboards.

What I'm finding, and I found this the first time around but foolishly forgot, is that when you paint the windows and trim, inevitably you get some splatter and mess nearby, i.e., the clapboards. Since the trim is in white, you can imagine how much it shows up on dark purple paint. I was cursing myself with each "splattery" mess. I decided to shelve any more plans to paint the siding and focus on the windows and trim, then go back and do the siding. If I'm feeling inspired, and I do tend to the anal-retentive in this department, I will go back and clean the mess I've made of things, but sometimes you just say "whatever" and leave it be.

On a bright note, at least the wood is now protected from the weather, which is the most important thing. It may look a little sloppy, but from a distance you can't tell the difference. The same is true in the evening.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: