Friday, June 10, 2016

Fresh Start

I have to admit that I was a little concerned about having our septic pumped because I waited a little longer than usual this time around, though I don't quite know what "usual" actually is. I still don't have a definitive answer as to the proper interval between septic evacuations, with some people saying every few years and others preaching longer intervals. I get a sense the previous owners had long in-betweens, though I can't say for sure. I know the last time we did it we waited 3 years and it seemed fine. This time around it was more like 6 years, and I was expecting a scolding from the septic guy. I was even a little pensive of seeing what was going on inside that tank.

As usual, my concerns were unfounded, and even Mr. Septic said it looked fine, whatever fine means for a septic tank. As long as there were no problems, that's fine with me. He pumped the tank and sealed the lid and was off. I'm much relieved to have a fresh start, and can stop thinking about it for another few years. I'm thinking that 5 years might be a good interval, but we'll see how it goes.

The big question is, will I take the long view and modify the latch to make it easier to find and open the next time, or will I take the short-sighted approach and simply fill the darn hole back in and be done with it? We shall see.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Chris for the pic.

No comments: