Thursday, August 11, 2016

Where's the Beef

We are trying to eat less meat and while I can appreciate the health benefits of such an endeavor, it ain't always easy when you not only enjoy eating meat, but you have growing kids who might benefit from it. Even still, we don't eat a lot of red meat. We never eat steak, even though I love it, and rarely eat burgers, though N and I will get them when it's just the two of us on the go. Five Guys beckons us. We tend more toward chicken and have been eating more fish than I ever had in my life.

Now we're learning that beef might not be so bad as long as it's grass fed, which is great because when you live in New England, local grass fed beef is the way to go. In fact, we have a friend who specializes in grass fed beef and they operate on a pretty big scale so they are reliable and reasonably priced. It's a bit more expensive than discount ground beef, no doubt, but you can't beat the quality and taste. We used to buy from them when we did dumplings at the market, and I feel better giving it to my family. Sometimes when you buy really cheap industrial meat that you get from the store, you just don't know where it's been.

The only issue is that I have to make the trek over to their house and get the beef, which I buy in 10 lb. increments. It's a big slab of meat, but it sure goes a long way in this household.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to bour3 for the pic.

No comments: