Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Getting the Splitter and Squeaking By With Our Boiler

I had the day all planned out in the quest to fulfill numerous goals, and all the circumstances changed and I had to change things on the fly. It was a little crazy, but things worked out in the end. I sure do love when that happens.

The biggest item on the agenda was getting our boiler serviced and inspected. Now I am not proud to admit to this, but I've never had the thing cleaned, and it wasn't until last year that I learned that you're supposed to have it cleaned every year. Boy did I feel stupid. There was this whole drama last year when I scheduled a cleaning and the guy came to do an inspection but not a cleaning. I was a little miffed and complained to Irving because I was going to have to pay for another visit to get the thing cleaned. They basically told me to take a hike, and there wasn't much I could do. Then this summer I saw they were offering a good deal on cleaning so I took advantage of it, scheduling it for today. There was no way I was going to screw this one up, so I made sure to be here when it happened.

Now the funny thing about things like this is that, like getting your phone hooked up or cable installed, they don't give you an exact time but a range of time. I was told they'd be here somewhere between 12 and 4. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I also wanted to get over to AM's house to borrow her wood splitter. However, she had guests over and didn't want to disturb them, so I had a window of time when I could get the splitter. To further complicate this situation (what else is new?), I also had to arrange transportation, because I don't have a trailer hitch on my car. I asked our neighbor and good friend JH if he could help, and he said he could, but not until later in the day. Sounds like a plan, right?

Well, Irving called in the morning and said there was a cancellation and that he could come by around 10:00. Then JH called and said his morning appointment ended early and he, too, could help me get the splitter in the morning. This would all have been good news except that I had a specified window of time to get the splitter, and it didn't involve the morning. I quickly texted AM and asked if I could go around 11:00 instead, but didn't hear from her.

Meanwhile, the guy was cleaning and inspecting the boiler, and I wasn't completely sure when JH would show up. As it turns out, the boiler was in excellent shape (a massive sigh of relief on that front), so he gave me the paperwork and was on his way. Literally as he started his truck and moved forward, JH pulled into our driveway with his truck. I jumped into his vehicle and we were on our way. I wasn't sure what the time was, but I think it was around 11:30, and I was hoping that AM's guests would be gone, which they were. We picked up the splitter, brought it home, and I was grateful that things worked out despite the changes in plans.

After JH left, I brought out my chainsaw and cut several logs, but had to stop at some point because the heat was just too much. N and I then went to get some lunch and go to the driving range (which is shaded), stopping to get A's guitar from her on the way because she had so many things she needed to do.

Then it was back home to make supper, and then finally, a moment of rest. Boy, talk about too many moving parts. Then again, without all the chaos, life wouldn't be as interesting, or at least this blog wouldn't be.

-->
Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to VeloBusDriver for the pic.

No comments: